Beekeeping is allowed in 76% of San Mateo County jurisdictions as long as you don’t create a nuisance for your neighbors (downloadable map). Only five jurisdictions in the county restrict beekeeping:
- Foster City: Bans beekeeping
- San Carlos: Restrictions so stringent that beekeeping is effectively banned for most residents
- Pacifica: Restrictions so stringent that beekeeping is effectively banned for most residents
- Hillsborough: Restricts beekeeping by hive numbers and setbacks making it hard to properly site and raise healthy bees
- Redwood City: Restricts beekeeping by setbacks, making it hard for some beekeepers to properly site a hive
If you would like to collect signatures to help change regulations in these five cities, please download a copy of our printable petition. Please return signed petitions to Nickie Irvine.
For further information on beekeeping regulations or if you would like to help our Guild’s Bee Legal Task Force to change restrictive regulations, please contact Nickie Irvine, Bee Legal Coordinator.