Beekeeping is allowed in 76% of San Mateo County jurisdictions as long as you don’t create a nuisance for your neighbors (downloadable map). Only five jurisdictions in the county restrict beekeeping:
- Foster City: Bans beekeeping
- San Carlos: Restrictions so stringent that beekeeping is effectively banned for most residents
- Pacifica: Restrictions so stringent that beekeeping is effectively banned for most residents
- Hillsborough: Restricts beekeeping by hive numbers and setbacks making it hard to properly site and raise healthy bees
- Redwood City: Restricts beekeeping by setbacks, making it hard for some beekeepers to properly site a hive
If you would like to collect signatures to help change regulations in these five cities, please download a copy of our printable petition. Please return signed petitions to .
For further information on beekeeping regulations or if you would like to help our Guild’s Bee Legal Task Force to change restrictive regulations, please , Bee Legal Coordinator.