Beekeeping is allowed in 70% of San Mateo County jurisdictions as long as you don’t create a nuisance for your neighbors (downloadable map). Only six jurisdictions in the county restrict beekeeping:
- Foster City: Bans beekeeping
- San Carlos: Restrictions so stringent that beekeeping is effectively banned for most residents
- Pacifica: Restrictions so stringent that beekeeping is effectively banned for most residents
- Burlingame: Restricts beekeeping by hive numbers and setbacks, making it hard to properly site and raise healthy bees
- Hillsborough: Restricts beekeeping by hive numbers and setbacks making it hard to properly site and raise healthy bees
- Redwood City: Restricts beekeeping by setbacks, making it hard for some beekeepers to properly site a hive
For further information on beekeeping regulations or if you would like to help our Guild’s Bee Legal Task Force to change restrictive regulations, please , Bee Legal Coordinator.
Burlingame Bee Legal
The Guild are currently working with the city of Burlingame, requesting that the current highly restrictive ordinace be replaced with the ordinance recently adopted by the city of San Mateo. Documents presented to the city council are linked below.