The Beekeepers’ Guild of San Mateo County offers a variety of classes and workshops throughout the year related to beekeeping. We provide a range of educational opportunities to suit the varied interests, approaches, and experience levels of our members and surrounding community. Please check back often, as we frequently update this list.
Additionally, we participate in several local events each year, such as the San Mateo County Fair, providing education to the public and a venue for members to sell their goods.
Annual Swarm List Training & Certification
Date and Time: Wednesday, March 13, and Wednesday March 20, 7-8 pm
Location: Peninsula Feed Store 346 El Camino Real, RWC
Class Fee: $25
The Guild’s Swarm List Manager, Bryan Hains, will be leading these in-person Swarm Capture workshops. The 1-hour class reviews important information about interacting with the public and teaches swarm collection methods. Attending the workshop is required to be listed on the Guild’s swarm removal web page.
- Certification is valid for the current year of your membership
- To be included on the Swarm Removal List, you must agree to collect swarms for free. Availability and areas where you’re willing to do a capture (among other information) will be listed for each person on the webpage
- Members who are doing professional cutouts of existing colonies are allowed to charge for their services and will be listed in a separate section of the page.
- The class fee covers cost of room rental and take-home materials such as: Caution tape, instructional handouts, laminated “Bee Rescue in Progress” sign with contact info, etc.
- If you just want to take the training to learn about swarm capture and not be certified for the call list, you can attend for free — just show up for the class!
- If you were on the 2018 Swarm list, you will receive a re-certification notice that can be completed via email to be on this year’s list, and do not need to take the class. Watch for an email from Bryan Hains.
Questions regarding the swarm list and training? Please contact
Note: you must log into your shop account to see the Swarm Catching class.